Monday, July 21, 2008

Respecting Other Faiths

At Sacrament Meeting yesterday, our speaker was a High Councilman from our Stake. I know he meant well. He was talking about missionary work and gaining a stronger testimony though referring non-members to the Elders for investigative purposes. Something we should all do.

The main body of his speech focused more on what was wrong with other Churches, how they are missing out on the True Gospel, etc. If I had been a non member sitting in that sacrament meeting, I would have been highly offended and never came back. The speech rang of eliteness and self righteousness. Yes, there was some humility as the Brother bore his testimony. Some tears, no doubt heartfelt.

We need to be careful and be repectful to other religions. I wonder how many Mormons that have been raised in the Church, have ever even attended another Church. I feel blessed that I am a convert, and had to search for the Church. I read many other philosophies, attended many Churches and had a lot of contact with people from other faiths, religions and cultures. I was truly searching, and sometimes still do. Often when I have a need or a question that I am praying about, a Buddist saying will answer my prayer.

We must remember, there is Truth everywhere, and Heavenly Father loves and respects us all. He doesn't love us more because The Gospel has been restored and we belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We must honor and respct other religions as Sacred. We must remember that we are role models for The Church, not only outside of the building, but inside the Chapel also. You never know who is sitting there.

"You must speak straight so that your words may go as sunlight into our hearts."
~ Cochise "Like Ironweed" CHIRICAHUA APACHE
"Come into my heart this morning. Allow me this day to live in the now. Help me to see all the beauty You have created in all things.
Let me know myself.
Today, as I make mistakes, let me see them as lessons. Guide me. When I see others make mistakes, let me honor them for where they are. Let me realize that they are Your children and only You, my Grandfather, knows what is really going on. When my lips move, let the words be Your words. "

Allow me to have the courage to speak Your truth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This how I see the "restored gospel". On our way to our Heavenly Father we may take the path we feel like taking. the one you and I chose is the one with the most beautiful flowers on Earth, they are ALLL there and in full blosom, the path is beautiful and each seconds is striking with beauty.
YET what is the point of being on such a path if we don't even enjoy or realize how lucky we are to be on this one?
Many have chosen a path with less flowers but the fact that they are aware of each leaf, each flower, they know everything (in the right way) about the beauty they were given, make their path to me more enjoyable, respectful and worth of respect than the way many members of the church treat our path.
What is the point of saying that we have the most beautiful roses if we don't make the most out of it?
You cal enjoy the rose from the budd pahse to where you can pick it. You can make jam out of it, flavored sugar, drinks, you can cook them (this is one of my favorite taste by the way, if you can ever try it you should have rose ice cream). Saying that we have the best and most beautiful roses is stupid and pointless if we don't know what we can do with them and if we don't try them.

susanne pappan said...

I agree with you Backandthen. We limit ourselves,and the work that the Atonement of Jesus Christ brought us, when we close our minds and hearts to other widom. Our lives can be so much richer by looking at the other paths. It has strengthened my Testimony, and allowed me a closer walk with the Lord. One of the other wonders I have found is a greater understanding of Grace and Humility.